Friday, May 25, 2012

Mr. A M Naik - A good CEO

Today's Economic Times had a special edition - Most Powerful CEOs. And I was at cloud nine. Wow, So many people to get inspired of. All of them are gems. I could consider Chanda Kochhar to me my icon as being a woman, she has made into top 5 of the most powerful CEOs. But the person who appealed to me the most was Mr.AM Naik, chairman and MD of Larsen and Toubro.

He appealed to me more because I have personally seen him and listened to him in an event. The event was spiritual, yet this big man, the MD of L&T  had come to share his views on it. It was like he was speaking straight from his heart, no show offs, no fake personality. Honestly not many knew him there as they were all ordinary people, many not so educated too. Yet he spoke and it was appealed to me. It sounded much more honest than the other film stars which had come there too to speak.

Today when I saw him in ET I was genuinely interested in knowing about him. I know only that much of him as much was mentioned in the paper. Which is that his father was not any corporate guy, but a freedom fighter and a school teacher. Yet he made it this far only because of his hard work which is evident from the fact that he never took a day off for the first 21 years of his career. Wow. Such dedication towards work is truly inspiring.
But his famous quote will give you the answer for his dedication, "L&T is my hobby, the rest is work."

Even today, when he is about to retire, at 70, he still works 14 hrs a day 7 days a week only to prepare the executives next in line to do the same great work he did. But even now, people in L&T say that the company wont be same without him.

I just hope, and inspire you too, that we enjoy our work just like him that we never feel like taking a day off. Obviously we have to give time to our family too but it would be better if we show even half of the passion he showed in his career. And I know its not possible for everyone to love their work but, we can try loving our work, taking it as a hobby. Its just a matter of perspective, how we look at our jobs nothing else. Because work is work, you make it interesting my your own input it wont make itself interesting.
After all what we make of our lives in in our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment